- Hair transplant
Can I exercise after the hair transplant?
Both in the case of FUT (Follicular Unit Transplantation) and FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction), hair transplantation, despite its popularity, is a medical operation that takes time to heal. Occasionally, physical activity can be detrimental to the healing process. It is better to avoid any form of exercise immediately after the hair transplant.
Vigorous exercise increases the risk of injury or a graft dislocation. For the FUE method, approximately 7-10 days of rest is necessary. Scars and wounds usually take about a week to heal. During the first 5 days, you should not overstrain yourself physically.
Prior to this period, lifting heavy objects or engaging in vigorous exercise may displace the grafts, cause infection, and take longer to heal. To prevent this from happening, it’s better to avoid exercise altogether. If necessary, you can engage in light activities such as yoga.
What are the potential risks of exercising after hair transplant surgery?
Exercise can have a severe adverse effect on newly implanted grafts. The following are situations to avoid in the weeks following transplant:
- Excessive sweating is detrimental to post-operative healing as it increases the risk of bacterial infections.
- Exercise can also make you tired, which increases your blood pressure. You will inadvertently cause bleeding and more injuries.
- Stretching can damage the grafted area, especially in the first few days.
- High-intensity contact sports, such as boxing and soccer, can increase the risk of a head injury. This can damage the hair follicles and negatively affect the results of your hair transplant.
- For a successful hair transplant, it is better to refrain from exercise for as long as your doctor recommends.
In the case of FUE surgery, it is advisable to refrain from strenuous exercise for two weeks. After a designated rest period, you can easily return to your normal mode.
Are you looking for a hair transplant in Turkey?
If you want to consult a hair specialist, please contact Meditravel. We provide the best hair loss treatment in Turkey, including FUE and DHI hair transplant surgeries. Our team consists of the best hair transplant doctors in Turkey who can provide personalized and affordable hair restoration solutions.